Top 7 Effective Knee Pain Home Remedies
Common Problems Faced Due To Knee Pain
Knee pain is a common complaint in adults and is often related to general wear and tear from everyday activities such as walking, standing, bending, and lifting. Athletes who run or play sports that involve quick jumping or turning are also more likely to experience pain and knee problems. But whether an individual's knee pain is due to aging or injury, it can be uncomfortable and even debilitating under certain circumstances. Knee pain treatment is highly advisable to avoid any future mishaps.
7 Effective Knee Pain Home Remedies
Knee Pain Exercises
Individuals can work with a physical therapist to determine the best exercises and program for their needs. Strengthening the upper leg muscle - the quadriceps through exercises can help protect the knee joint and improve knee pain. These muscles are located on the sides and front of the thigh.
- Straighten and elevate one leg while lying or sitting
- Put one foot on a step, then put the other foot, and repeat the steps.
- Sit in a chair, then stand up and sit down several times a minute
- Hold a chair and squat down until the kneecap covers the toes. Do this 10 times.
Massage With Ayurvedic Oil For Knee Pain
Massage with ayurvedic oil can relieve knee pain. The movements should be done in a seated position with knees forward and feet flat on the floor.
- Make a fist and tap the top, bottom, and middle of the thighs 10 times. Repeat three times
- Sit with your feet flat on the floor, place the heels of your hands on your upper thighs and slide down to your knees, then release. Repeat this five times. Do the same for the outside and inside of the thighs.
Ayurvedic oil for knee pain can do wonders to cure knee pain. Imbue suggests NIraama Joint Pain Relief Oil for your knee pain solution.
Weight Loss and Diet For knee Pain Relief
Regular exercises can help you keep your muscles strong and maintain your mobility helping in knee pain relief. It is an essential tool for treating osteoarthritis and other causes of knee pain. Resting your legs or limiting movement can help you avoid knee pain, but it can also make joints stiff and slow to heal. In this case, insufficient movement can accelerate joint damage. Experts have found that, for people with knee pain, exercising with another person can be especially beneficial. Experts also recommend that people should find an activity they enjoy.
Heat and Cold
Here are some tips for applying heat and cold therapy for knee pain:
- Alternate between cold and hot. Apply heat for up to 20 minutes at a time.
- For the first 2 days after the injury, apply cold for 20 minutes, four to eight times a day.
- Use gel packs or other cold compresses more often during the first 24 hours after injury or if you experience extreme knee pain.
- Never apply ice directly to the skin. Check to make sure the heating pad is not too hot before applying.
- Do not use heat therapy if your joints feel hot during a flare. A warm shower in the morning can soothe stiff joints.
Aromatherapy For Knee Pain Treatment
Essential oils can help relieve knee pain. A study found that massaging with ayurvedic oils containing linseed oil, Nirgundi oil, and Shudh Kuchala improved knee pain and function in knees with people having moderate to severe pain from osteoarthritis. These oils offer knee pain relief and ensure you get the maximum benefit in a shorter period of time.
Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation
Rest can reduce the risk of further knee pain problems and give tissues time to heal. However, all movement should not be stopped, as this can lead to stiffness and, over time, weakening of the muscles.
Ice helps in reducing swelling and inflammation. It is recommended to wrap the ice in a cloth and apply it several times for 20 minutes on the first day of injury. Never apply ice directly to the skin, as this can lead to tissue damage.
Compression with a knee brace can increase comfort levels. Brackets or tape should be sturdy but not tight.
Lifting or keeping the leg elevated will promote circulation and reduce swelling. Ideally, the knees should be above heart level.
Ginger Extract: Instant Knee Pain Solution
The anti-inflammatory compounds in ginger help reduce knee pain and swelling in the knees. Soak ginger in hot water, with some honey and lemon. Drink 2-3 cups a day until the knee pain subsides. Alternately, you can grate a 1-inch piece of ginger and boil for 10 minutes in 1 cup of water. Strain the decoction and add a little honey and lemon before drinking. This acts as great knee pain relief.
Other Knee Pain Treatments
The standing hamstring curl is a good exercise to start with for treating knee pain. It targets your hamstrings and glutes. This exercise requires good core strength to keep your upper body and hips stable. You may also try doing swimming, water aerobics, and walking as a knee pain treatment.
Knee pain is a common condition that affects more than 18 million adults each year. Performing stretching and strengthening exercises that target the muscles can help reduce knee pain, improve range of motion and flexibility, and reduce your risk of future injury.